Remember my strawberry picking post? Well, today I am in the Coach House attempting home-made Freezer Strawberry Jam. I followed the recipe on the Pectin package, doubling it for the amount of berries I had. In total, I would say it took me about 2 hours including the prep of the cans and all of the chopping.
Makes roughly 4-6 250 ml jars
- 1 3/4 cups of strawberries mashed
- 4 cups of white sugar
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- One packet of pectin
- Put mason jars (including the rims and lids) into the dishwasher to wash them. Make sure the jars are dry.
- Thoroughly rinse the strawberries.
- Remove stems and finely chop the strawberries.
- Mash the berries (I used a hand mixer) in one large bowl.
- Put the sugar in a separate bowl.
- Mix the sugar into the crushed berries and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the packet of pectine.
- Stir for 3 minutes.
- Mix in lemon juice.
- Pour jam into jars, leaving room at the top (roughly 1/4 inch).
- Let the jam sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours before eating.
NOTE: This is freezer jam, so you can also freeze it to further set the mixture.